Tuesday, September 18, 2012

my feelings about mitt Romney and being poor.


My name is Tim and I’m a poor, part-time courtesy clerk who works at a Kroger company. I’m also 30 years old who lives in my grandpa’s house. I pay him rent, I buy my own food, and I have small amount of possessions and very little money. I have read that Mitt Romney does not care about poor people and thinks that we’re freeloaders or lazy never-do-wells, or someone who takes money from the government. I’m none of that. I am a hard worker, I don’t sit on my ass all day, I pay my rent, I do things to keep surviving, and I help people however I can. I’m being told that Mitt Romney may help get us jobs. I do not agree because Mitt Romney only cares about himself.

I cannot live on my own because apartments are very expensive and there isn’t a many apartments around either. I cannot go to college because it’s too far away. I don’t own a car because they are expensive. I do not wish to get a loan nor do I wish to be in debt. I wish to take care of myself, but it’s difficult when you’re in a small town where businesses are few and distant, where apartments are extremely sparse, and no college around. I cannot get into online classes because I have to pay for the textbooks I cannot afford. No matter how hard I tried to work with the financial aid, getting the textbooks, or balancing my budget, it fell apart few times. If I had a full time job, with a decently fair income, I may be able to pay for online classes, but I cannot. My job refuses to give me a fulltime, there is no other job hiring. Even if there are other jobs hiring, they’re too far away. My only transportation is walking. I had had a bike, but it got stolen. I cannot rely on a ride from anyone.

I can not get on SSI or DES. I was told I make too much money, but I get in average 700 to 800 a month. Most apartments anywhere in my area is 500 and above. 500 plus food plus bills would be well over the amount I get per month. I don’t get guarantee I would get even 600 a month. Sometimes I work 25 hours per week. Sometimes I would get 29, 30, 19 hours per week, and sometimes 35. I had once worked only 8 hours per week or even four hours per week. I also cannot get on medical insurance for any medication I may need. Arizona refuses me medical insurance because I don’t have children.

I’m a single man, there is no woman who even notices me, and I don’t want to have children of my own, especially in my current state. Even if I do want children, I don’t want to have them in a state where they may be starving or malnourished. I don’t want to rely on WIC or any government welfares. I don’t want to struggle with financial problems or put my child through poverty. If I were to have a child, I want to have a child who will have plenty to eat, to have a home ensured that it won’t be taken away and we would have to live in a box, or even wonder when I would have enough to put food on the table. No child should ever have to go through with that! Sadly, there are millions who do. Also, I’m not straight, but Bi and I strongly believe that no one should have to be denied medical insurance for any reason, especially for the lack of children.

I get accused of being selfish, of being a freeloader, or living off welfare or off my parents, or that I think this is all about me. I’m none of that. I struggle to survive on my own. I want to live on my own, not be dependent on anyone. I want to be independent, I want to move forward, and I want to live. We all do! This isn’t about me, this is about all who suffer poverty too.

I don’t desire wealth, I don’t desire expensive gadgets, I don’t desire a fancy car or a fancy house. You know what I desire? To live, to travel, to have a partner, and to not live in poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment