Thursday, July 26, 2012

My speech I want to make


Hello, my name is Tim. I believe in the rights to marry for LGBT people, I believe that we’re all aren’t so different from each other, I believe we’re all capable of love, and I believe that lies and discrimination is what hurts all of us.

I have a hearing impairment, I am an atheist, and I am bisexual. I say this because I’ve been discriminated for many things like these. Those that have discriminated against someone for their sexuality, their beliefs, or their disability know absolutely nothing about the person. Just as people know absolutely nothing about those who have different skin color, those who are born in different countries, or those who are in poverty.

We experience discrimination everyday, we experience bullying everyday, we experience lies and hate every day, and we experience injustice. Those things have done nothing more than hurt all of us. Those who are LGBT are just like everyone else. I may be Bisexual, but that is not who I am. Your sexuality does not define who you are.

I remember what martin Luther King Jr had said, “I had a dream, where our children would one day not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” I believe very much that when we look at one another or learn one little thing about the person, we still don’t know them but we judge them by that little information.

I have been through so much discrimination and bullying, even on the internet. I’ve been called “ugly, stupid, retarded, fat, fag, and more.” I’ve been told to go kill myself, I’ve been told no one would like me. But you know what is true? I know myself and I know they don’t know a thing about me. I had never been given a chance to show people who I am because I was judged before I even said anything. This is the kind of thing we all face, this is why many young children kill themselves, this is why people suffer; bullying and hate never made anyone strong, it only kills people.

I want for us all to live in a place where we can understand one another, to be free to marry the person we love, to not be assaulted, to be able to have jobs and not be fired for being gay, an atheist, or anything else, to be able to show the world that we’re just like everyone else, and to be able to live without fear or to have people paint us all as something to hate or fear.

I’m not different from you, I have dreams, I have goals, I make mistakes, I am capable of love, and I am a human being. I don’t know why there should be hate toward those whose sexuality is unlike yours, I don’t know why there should be double standards when pointing out flaws in people who are gay, I don’t know why we must make lies about complete strangers we don’t even know, and I don’t know why people should be denied the right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. I don’t know why we cannot be able to live our lives with equal rights as everyone else. I hope we can open our eyes and realize that we’re all human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment