Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Movie Review: Just a question of love (Gay French film)



This is a French film that is about two men, Laurent and Cedric, who are gay and are passionate lovers. This film is one of my favorite aside Beautiful thing and Shelter. What I love about this film is that it has nothing stereotypical about homosexuals. It has a happy ending and it speaks volume about how coming out affects families who might have difficulty understanding or accepting homosexuality. The title says it all, “It’s just a question of love.” It is to say that no matter your sexuality, it’s just love.



I love the actors who played Laurent and Cedric, they’re wonderful and kept the characters believable and real. It is very beautiful and worthy of watching. This film was mainly to be direct to parents, to give them the message that no matter what, it’s love and one must always try to understand one another instead of hating.



Laurent’s parents, mainly the father, are homophobic. Cedric’s mother was accepting, but clearly not at first because she said, “It took me a long time, but I accepted it.” The parents of Marc were showing depression and sadness about losing their son who is gay. They’ve disowned him and he had died. The mother had been most depressed over her son’s death. Marc is Laurent’s cousin and is the reason why Laurent wouldn’t come out. He loves his parents and didn’t want to lose them. Cedric wanted him to come out so that they both wouldn’t have to hide anything from the world.



I absolutely love the film, but only two things I wasn’t happy was this; Cedric and Laurent falling instantly in love didn’t quite make sense to me, but then I am one of those who prefer to take the time to get to know the person before snogging them passionately like they did. Also, constantly using the word “fag” was a bit irritating, even from Laurent. But all that aside, I truly love the movie. I highly recommend it and I give it a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment