Saturday, January 21, 2012

Masculinity is unimportant


Masculinity is unimportant





What did it even mean to be masculine? Is it really that big of a deal how a man is supposed to be? Does it mean that we’re supposed to be typically muscle-bound, no pain no gain, beer guzzlin’, football lovin’ man with hot rods? Sorry, none of those applies to me, but I am not less of a man.

I don’t drink alcohol, I hate football, I don’t like to drive cars, I hate feeling pain, I’m no body builder, and I don’t catcall to women. If anything, I’m a total opposite. Surely, some men would say that I’m a weakling, a sissy, or some stupid crap like that. I am who I am.

Being masculine, in my opinion, is not about how strong you are, nor the love of sports, or the love of cars, nor how big your dick is, and it most certainly isn’t about how many women you slept with. It’s unimportant because what’s important is you being yourself.

I’m an emotional type. I cry at sad movies, I cry when I’m in pain, and being emotional doesn’t make me less of a man. It’s not a sign of weakness either. Suppressing your feelings is inhumane. If we are to suppress our feelings, then doesn’t that mean we’re trying to pretend we’re something we’re not? You’re just denying your own humanity and treating emotion as if it’s a weakness. It’s stupid.

I don’t care for sports and I don’t feel like shouting at the top of my lungs whenever a team wins or boo when they lose. Whenever I was at a sport stadium, everyone was shouting, making waves, and chanting. I never joined in because I don’t care for it. Loving sports have nothing to do with manliness, it’s just a personal thing. I’m more of a bookworm. I prefer to stick my head in a book. I have had done baseball, basketball, wrestling, and soccer before but my heart’s just not into it. Just as I remember whenever I was in school gym, my heart just wasn’t into any sports. I preferred books.

I had no interest in alcohol. I just don’t. If one thinks you’re not a man if you don’t drink alcohol, then consider this. If alcohol didn’t exist, what would you say then? It has nothing to do with masculinity.

Drugs and cigarettes, I don’t like them either.

How is it manly to toughen out pain? What are we brain-dead ogres? If we feel pain and it hurts so much, then we’re supposed to acknowledge pain and quit acting like the black knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, “It’s just a flesh wound!” What’s the point of “toughing it out?” it is just a sad way of pretending that being a man is to “act tough.” It makes you pathetic. No one likes pain, and I guarantee that any men who goes, “Well I cut off my finger accidently, but I’m alright. Just throw my finger in the cooler and let’s go to the hospital.” When really your brain is screaming, “OOOH GOD IT HURTS!!” Battlefield? You may act tough like, “Bullets don’t scare me,” but your brains is really going, “please don’t shoot me, please don’t shoot me!” Come on, we’re all human, we’re not supposed to pretend that pain tickles when it really hurts.

“It tickled.” ~ Wolverine, wolverine origins.


No comments:

Post a Comment